Submitting a Writing Portfolio (with AP) for CCI Credit
First-year students who have earned a 4 or 5 on the AP Language and Composition (AP Lang/Comp) exam, or a 5 or higher on the IB Higher-Level English exam, may apply for credit for WRI 120: College Composition I, satisfy the College Compostion I graduation requirement, and receive 4 credits toward graduation. The portfolio is an opportunity for a student to demonstrate their range of writing ability and their accomplishment of academic writing. In particular, a student should aim to show how their writing meets the Outcomes of CCI.
Submit your portfolio by the deadline (see below) as 3 attachments (.rtf, .doc, or .docx) by email to Dr. Julie Wilson, Director of the Writing Center & College Composition: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contents of Portfolio
A 2-3 page reflective analysis that:
- Identifies the original context and purpose of each piece of included writing as well as the intended audience of each.
- Explains to how your writing demonstrates the Outcomes of CCI.
- Speaks to the portfolio as a whole and you as a writer, including how the included writing reflects your writing process, your strengths, and what you still hope to accomplish as a writer.
2 pieces of academic writing:
- These samples may come from any course, any discipline, and be in any academic genre (including research papers, persuasive writing, lab reports, and analyses).
- You should select your best work which also shows how you are accomplishing the Outcomes of CCI.
- No one piece of writing is expected to accomplish all of those outcomes; instead, use the variety of your selections to show your broad ability.
- You may conduct further revision before submitting these pieces of writing.
Submission Deadline & Timeline
- Portfolios are accepted during the first three weeks of each semester only (i.e. During Weeks 1-3 of each semester).
- DEADLINE: Friday of Week 3 at 5pm
- You should defer enrollment in CCI if you intend to submit a portfolio.
- Review of your portfolio will take 4-6 weeks.
- You will be notified of the decision before the next semester's advising period, in time to register for CCI in the following semester, if required.
- If your portfolio does not grant you credit for CCI, you need to take WRI 120: College Composition I. Your AP score will still allow you 4 elective credits toward graduation.