Crew members attend planning meetings, plan and organize events, and help set up and assist in coordination during events. Crew members also acquire new or enhance their existing computer skills, such as using spreadsheets to collect and translate data, working with database applications for generating contracts and agreements, using Marionette CMS to update the Conference website and social media to report on the event. Additional skills include development of strong customer service skills working one-on-one with clients during an event and some photography of setups and events.
Summer Crew Expectations
In the summer, the conference crew as a whole takes on greater responsibilities.
- I expect everyone to work as if the responsibilities of the crew were important, which I strongly believe it is; to see the campus through the eyes of someone coming here for the first time. We represent the college to groups of people who, for the most part, believe in the mission of the college and chose to bring their conference participants here and not anywhere else. They make investments in Wilson through enrolling their kids, telling their friends and advancing the mission of the college through donations and fees.
- I expect a high degree of dedication. If you're on the clock, be on the clock. Being here without investing yourself in the job and the crew is the same to me as not showing up, it hurts us all.
- I expect good communication. If you can't be on time or are not coming in due to illness, I expect a phone call with as much advance notice as possible; your absence affects the entire crew. If you have an appointment or a prior conflict, let me know as soon as possible. Repeated absences may result in being moved to another crew.
- I expect you to work together as a crew, to respect and to support each other while working and to resolve any differences, with my help or without.
- I expect you to ask if you have any questions, to look beyond the immediate task you've been asked to do to see the bigger picture.
What you can expect from me:
- I will strive to be consistent and fair.
- I will work to offer opportunities for greater responsibilities.
- I will present a detailed overview of tasks and to find ways to make the work interesting (but sometimes, it just isn't).
- I will set a good example for the crew in my actions and interactions with other members of the campus community and summer guests.