Helen Powers Research and Project Grants
The Helen Powers Program in Business of Warren Wilson College is pleased to announce the availability of research and project grants. These grants support student research or projects up to the amount of $800.00 per project.
Purpose and Eligibility: The Research and Project Grant is designed to assist students in starting new ventures, conducting interesting research, or managing special projects that embody the spirit and principles of the Department and Warren Wilson College. To be eligible, students must be in good academic standing and have a declared major in Sustainable Business.
Preference for awards will be based on the following criteria:
- Tangible and unique contributions of the project/research to the student’s education at Warren Wilson.
- Clarity of purpose and plan for the project.
- Need for and specific uses of the funds.
- Potential for long-term impacts / sustainability of activities funded.
- How the funds will be used to enhance community (at Warren Wilson or in the local community).
Examples of projects eligible for funding include:
- Conducting research or a project for an academic course or program, work crew, or service project.
- Initiating or developing nonprofit projects on campus or in Western North Carolina.
- Conducting research in preparation of opening a business.
Application Procedures: To apply submit the following to the Department Chair
- A letter addressed to "The Sustainable Business Department" expressing your general need for funding.
- Project proposal (What I want to do and why it is important to me and others).
- Describe the project, its purpose, goals, and expected outcomes.
- Relevance of project to your education
- Evidence / accomplishments that demonstrate your ability to complete your project in the time frame you have proposed.
- Detailed project plan including tasks, a time line, and expected outcomes.
- Detailed project budget, including quotes from suppliers/other sources where appropriate. (Funds may only be used for materials, supplies, honoraria, and travel. They may not be used for salaries.)
Additional Information to Include with Application: In addition to the information listed above, please submit or have the following submitted by the application deadline:
- Have one faculty member and one crew supervisor write you a recommendation that addresses "your dedication and ability to make things happen."
- A copy of your transcripts (for at least two years, prior schools if you have only been at Warren Wilson College for one year).
- A copy of your resume
- Evidence of 'good standing' in academics, work and service.
The deadline for this application is the Tuesday before October and March breaks.
Please submit all application materials electronically to:
Sustainable Business Department