Major in Art
The art major is intended for the student who is interested in making a dedicated commitment to the visual arts within a liberal arts context. The major provides an experiential, basic foundation in the visual arts. Students discover and develop creative potential and direction and come to greater understanding and appreciation of the unique contributions of others and of the complex issues that confront those in the arts today.
Minor in Art
The art minor is intended to provide an experiential, basic introduction to the visual arts.
The art program mission includes providing opportunities for all members of the college community to develop their artistic sensibilities and skills. Students from all departments are encouraged to enroll in courses and also to attend gallery openings and exhibits, community arts programs, lectures, and visiting artist talks.
- To teach students to effectively utilize artistic processes and visual elements to express concepts and emotions.
- To aid individuals in the development of skill, sensitivity, and creativity in the use of art media.
- To help students develop critical thinking and the ability to analyze and evaluate visual images.
- To promote the appreciation of art as a discipline and examine its contributions to culture.
- To provide work and service opportunities for students to develop their artistic sensibilities and skills in support of the mission of the College.